Subclass 408 Temporary Activity Visa Australian Government Endorsed Event
April 15, 2020
The COVID – 19 Pandemic Event Visa is only available to people who are onshore (ie in Australia) and have 28 days or less remaining on their current visa or where their last substantive visa has expired up to 28 days previously.
The purpose of this visa is to provide a pathway for certain former and current holders of temporary visas to lawfully remain in Australia and who would otherwise be required to depart Australia who, but for the COVID-19 pandemic, are unable to leave Australia. The instrument limits the class of persons who can be granted the visa to those who hold a visa that is 28 days or less from ceasing to be in effect, or held a visa that is no more than 28 days from ceasing to be in effect. It further limits the class of persons to those who are unable to apply for the same temporary visa they hold or held or any other subclass of temporary visa other than the Subclass 408 visa.
The purpose of the instrument is also to implement a measure to respond to workforce shortages during the COVID-19 pandemic in relation to areas including, but not limited to, agriculture, aged care and public health. The instrument is designed to allow holders of temporary visas who are engaged in or have the relevant skills to undertake critical work relating to supply of essential goods and services, provided the applicant falls within the class of persons specified by the instrument.
TEMPORARY ACTIVITY: AGEE (Australian Government Endorsed Event)
Visa Application Requirements:
- Applicant is onshore having entered Australia on a valid visa;
- Applicant has 28 days or less remaining on the visa before expiry; OR
- Applicant’s last substantive visa has expired up to 28 days previously
- Applicant must have enough money to support himself including any dependent family members who will be included in the visa application;
- Applicant and all secondary applicants must meet health requirements
- Applicant and all secondary applicants must meet character requirements
- Must have adequate health insurance
- Applicant must pass ‘Genuine Temporary Entrant’ criteria
- Proof of Vocational English
You do not need to be endorsed in writing if applying for this Australian Government Endorsed Event.
The instrument specifies the COVID-19 pandemic as declared by the World Health Organization on 11 March 2020, as an event for paragraph 408.229(b) of Schedule 2 to the Regulations. The instrument also specifies the class of persons for the purposes of paragraph 408.229(c) of Schedule 2 and subparagraph 1237(2)(a)(i) of Schedule 1 to the Regulations.
Visa Application Charge: NIL